Leonardo Dicaprio Foundation:
Dedicated to protecting Earth’s last wild places and fostering a harmonious relationship between humanity and the natural world.
Since 1998, the Foundation has been working on pressing environmental and humanitarian issues through grant making, campaigning and media projects. Areas of focus include; wildlife and habitat preservation, healthy oceans, water access, climate change and disaster relief. The Foundation’s strategic approach to philanthropy for a better planet relies upon active collaboration with effective organizations as well as with other funders who share our goals and can magnify our impact.
Philanthropy Providing grants to innovative, results-driven conservation projects, collaborative initiatives, and trusted nonprofits.
Recent philanthropic efforts include;
- Protecting Tigers from Extinction: a conservation effort in Nepal to protect critical tiger habitat led by World Wildlife Fund in collaboration with local communities, and the Nepali government
- Saving the Last Rainforests: a collaborative effort with WWF, Frankfort Zoological Society, the Australian Orangutan Project, Kehati and Eyes on the Forest to save the largest remaining block of rainforest in Sumatra, home to wild tigers, orangutans, elephants and two indigenous tribes
- Protecting Our Oceans: an international funders collaborative called “Oceans 5” dedicated to stopping overfishing and establishing marine reserves, the two highest ecological priorities identified by scientists
- Saving Sharks: a successful effort of six organizations from five different countries to secure international trade restrictions for five species of threatened sharks at the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES)
- Protecting Antarctica: a grant for the Antarctic Ocean Alliance, a coalition of over a dozen organizations working on five continents to secure the largest network of marine reserves on the planet
- Providing Access to Clean Water: a grant to Concern Worldwide, providing 430,000 people in Tanzania, Mozambique, Sierra Leone and Darfur with sustainable access to clean water
In tandem with LDF’s philanthropic efforts, the foundation uses digital media and Leonardo’s website & social media channels with 10 Million+ followers, to inform and rally the public on specific calls-to-action. LDF also works behind the scenes to encourage collaboration between organizations, other celebrities and decision-makers.
Justin Winters is Executive Director, she has been working at the Foundation since 2006.
For more information visit www.leonardodicaprio.com.
A component fund of the California Community Foundation.
Follow us on Twitter: @LeoDiCaprio
The Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation welcomes inquiries and ideas for potential projects, however does not accept unsolicited proposals.
Media or general inquiries and ideas can be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contributions to the California Community Foundation represent irrevocable gifts subject to the legal and fiduciary control of the foundation's board of directors. This charge will appear on your credit card statement as a payment to "Calif Comm Fdn - CCF". In addition, California Community Foundation incurs a third-party administrative fee of 2.7 percent for credit card contributions which we do not apply to most donations as a courtesy. For contributions of $25,000 or more, the foundation reserves the option to charge the fee directly to the individual fund.