Dedicated to protecting Earth’s last wild places and fostering a harmonious relationship between humanity and the natural world.
Founded in 1998, the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation (“LDF”) works to protect the Earth’s last wild places by implementing solutions that restore balance to threatened ecosystems, and ensuring the long-term health and wellbeing of all its inhabitants.
LDF, through partnerships and direct grant commitments, brings attention and needed funding to three areas: protecting biodiversity, ocean & forest conservation and climate change. To execute its programming, the Foundation works in close collaboration with a broad network of stakeholders including environmental leaders and experts, local communities, national and international leaders, effective organizations and committed philanthropists.
With strategic investments in 60 cutting-edge conservation, climate change, public advocacy and environmental protection projects, LDF is making meaningful progress toward resolving environmental threats and creating a more harmonious relationship between humanity and nature in more than 40 countries and in all five of the world’s oceans.
The Foundation’s major recent investments include:
- Accelerating Renewable Energy Use: LDF is taking on climate change in the United States by working with “The Solutions Project” to accelerate the transition to 100% renewable energy for all people and purposes. This approach can be exported and used as a model for other nations around the world.
- Protecting Tigers from Extinction: LDF is working as part of a conservation effort in Nepal to help to secure the wild tiger population by protecting their habitat and protecting them from poachers. The collaboration is led by the World Wildlife Fund with cooperation from local communities and the Nepali government.
- Empowering Indigenous People: Deep in the Amazon, LDF is supporting ClearWater’s efforts to empower the Ceibo Alliance, a cooperation of four native tribes – the Cófan, Secoya, Siona and Waorani – who have put aside generations of cultural differences to work togetherto protect their lands, water and way of life.
- Saving Our Oceans: As a lead partner in an international funders collaborative called “Oceans 5,” LDF is dedicated to stopping destructive overfishing practices and establishing and expanding marine reserves – the two highest ecological protection priorities identified by scientists.
- Defending Iconic Species in Central Africa: LDF is working in Sub-Saharan Africa to save gorillas in the continent’s central lowlands, and the black rhinoceros in Tanzania from rampant poaching and the destruction of their natural environments.
Additionally, The Foundation’s innovation pool provides unrestricted financial grants to small and medium-sized organizations that are using new, strategic approaches to address complex environmental issues. Projects that receive funding through this LDF initiative focus on indigenous and community rights, conservation innovation, new conservation and management technologies, renewable energy, climate science and media, and sustainable cities.
Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation is a component fund of the California Community Foundation.
For more information visit: www.leonardodicaprio.org
To make a secure donation online, click on the button below. You may also send checks payable to the California Community Foundation, noting that the donation is for the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation. Checks should be mailed to:
California Community Foundation
221 S. Figueroa St., Suite 400
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Contributions to the California Community Foundation represent irrevocable gifts subject to the legal and fiduciary control of the foundation's board of directors. This charge will appear on your credit card statement as a payment to "Calif Comm Fdn - CCF". In addition, California Community Foundation incurs a third-party administrative fee of 2.7 percent for credit card contributions. The foundation will charge the fee directly to the individual fund.