About Us – What We Do:
Eric’s Kids provides scholarships, mentoring and grief support to at risk children who have lost a parent and are in financial need. We ensure underserved kids affected by loss are provided a quality education and grief support so they will have an equal opportunity to succeed. The fund works with the Catholic Education Foundation to provide financial support and services to children who would otherwise be unable to attend high quality, safe and nurturing Catholic elementary schools in their central Los Angeles neighborhoods.
The mission is personal to our founder, Jennifer Caspar, who launched the nonprofit in memory of her late husband Eric Altshule, who died suddenly in 2010 when their daughters were 10 and 13. Eric’s kids aims to honor Eric’s love for his children, his passion for learning and for his fervent belief in the justice of educational equality.
Since our founding in 2011, we have pursued our goal of providing quality education and grief support to under serviced children who have lost a parent in the following ways:
- Fund Raising: We have brought in more than $240,000 in contributions from individuals, primarily through grassroots communication and free public events
- Tuition Assistance: We have funded 88 year long scholarships to more than 30 students.
- Community Building: Through two annual events, we invite our students to be active among the Eric’s Kids community, where they find kinship among people who understand loss.
- Bereavement Support and Education: We provide grief support education to the faculty at our participating schools.
- One-on-one Meetings: We attempt to meet with each family at least once a year to understand each one’s individual needs and barriers to educational achievement. We work to connect families with other useful resources.
- General Support: We provide holiday gifts to our students to remind them that they are valued, and that we are available for support when they need it.
It Takes a Village:
We carry out our mission through partnerships with nine Catholic schools as well as these two wonderful organizations.
Catholic Education Foundation
We welcome your tax deductible contributions to help us stabilize fragile lives.
To make a secure, tax-deductible donation online, click on the button below. You may also send checks payable to the California Community Foundation, noting that the donation is for Eric’s Kids. Checks should be mailed to:
California Community Foundation
221 S. Figueroa St., Suite 400
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Contributions to the California Community Foundation represent irrevocable gifts subject to the legal and fiduciary control of the foundation’s board of directors. This charge will appear on your credit card statement as a payment to “Calif Comm Fdn – CCF”. In addition, California Community Foundation incurs a third-party administrative fee of 2.7 percent for credit card contributions. The foundation will charge the fee directly to the individual fund.