California Community Foundation to Increase Fellowship for Visual Artists Awards to $25,000
Additional updates to long-standing fellowship aim to better serve L.A. County artists
LOS ANGELES – June 8, 2016 – The California Community Foundation (CCF) announces several updates to its Fellowship for Visual Artists (FVA) to better serve the needs of L.A. County’s artistic community, including increasing the fellowship award to $25,000 regardless of career level. Previous award amounts were $15,000 for emerging and $20,000 for mid-career artists.
The goal of the FVA remains the same: to fund outstanding Los Angeles County-based visual artists from diverse backgrounds in order to support sustainable careers in the arts. Since 1988, in partnership with the Getty Foundation and other donors, FVA has provided more than $2.5 million in unrestricted grants to 274 Los Angeles County visual artists. The grants are often used for project development, exhibits, travel or general expenses.
This year’s updates include:
• Increasing the award amount to $25,000 for all recipients regardless of career level. Twelve Los Angeles County based artists will be selected and notified in early December.
• Not requiring identification as emerging or mid-career artist.
• Creating a streamlined application beginning with a simplified initial application. Selected applicants move on to complete the full application.
• Requiring a minimum of five years of professional experience and exhibition history with evidence of work in Los Angeles County.
• Requiring a minimum age of 25 years old.
Changes were the result of an internal evaluation of the existing process, and feedback from artists, professors, gallery owners, curators, writers and nonprofit leaders.
Fellows are annually selected by a committee of distinguished artists and arts professionals – including fellowship alumni – following a rigorous application process. To view a full list of FVA fellows, please visit FVA artist’s gallery/.
The deadline for the first stage of the application is June 30, 2016. For more information and how to apply, please visit calfund.org/nonprofits/grant-opportunities/arts/ccf-fellowship-visual-artists/.
Please read the updated Guidelines and Eligibility and Frequently Asked Questions before applying.