Friends of the San Gabriel Mission Playhouse
The Friends of the San Gabriel Mission Playhouse Fund was established in 2015, to provide the opportunity for donors to directly support the restoration efforts, and creative vision of the San Gabriel Mission Playhouse.
The San Gabriel Mission Playhouse was built in 1927 to present John Steven McGroarty’s famed Mission Play, a grand pageant chronicling the founding of the California Missions led by Junipero Serra. The four hour epic production featured a cast of 150 musicians, dancers, and actors, and was attended by over 2.5 million people.
Located in the heart of a historic neighborhood, the Playhouse embraces its role as a focal point for the artistic and cultural life of the people of the City of San Gabriel and far beyond.
Please join our Façade Restoration Campaign, an effort to raise the funds needed to repair the front of the San Gabriel Mission Playhouse!
At a time when many historic buildings are being modernized, the Playhouse remains a thriving community space, almost identical to 89 years ago when it was dedicated to the People of California. However, due to the Southern California climate and years of deferred maintenance, the exterior walls of the Playhouse are severely damaged with deep cracks and peeling paint.
The remarkable façade with its iconic bell towers is an architectural jewel and a landmark for the people of the region. To repair and restore the exterior of the Playhouse would bring a renewed sense of pride to all who appreciate the beauty and grandeur of this historic building and ensure that the Playhouse is able to serve as the artistic heart of the community far into the future.
This dynamic fundraising opportunity draws on both private and public sector to complete this project. Your contribution will help bring us closer to our goal.
We have created five levels of recognition for donors, as follows:
- Supporters – Contributions of $10 to $499 – recognition on our website & theater lobby monitors!
- Makers – Contributions of $500 to $999 – all of the above, and recognition in our 2018 brochure!
- Builders – Contributions of $1,000 to $2,499 – all of the above, and inclusion on our 2017 Façade Restoration Campaign wall plaque!
- Artisans – Contributions of $2,500 to $4,999 – all of the above, with mid-level recognition placement on the 2017 Façade Restoration campaign wall plaque!
- Creators – Contributions of $5,000+ – all of the above, acknowledgment in our Engage! season program, and highest level recognition placement on the 2017 Façade Restoration Campaign wall plaque
To make a secure, tax-deductible donation online, click on the button below. You may also send checks payable to the California Community Foundation, noting that the donation is for Friends of the San Gabriel Mission Playhouse. Checks should be mailed to:
California Community Foundation
221 S. Figueroa St., Suite 400
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Contributions to the California Community Foundation represent irrevocable gifts subject to the legal and fiduciary control of the foundation’s board of directors. This charge will appear on your credit card statement as a payment to “Calif Comm Fdn – CCF”. In addition, California Community Foundation incurs a third-party administrative fee of 2.7 percent for credit card contributions. The foundation will charge the fee directly to the individual fund.